Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Fellowship beginnings

Some people have asked me...

"How will you start the fellowship? What will you do?" My answer has always been the same..

"It is not MY fellowship and I will hopefully simply get out of His way and make myself useful to Him in His purpose."

Folks, I'm really not concerned or worried about how things will come about. I know that I simply need to be faithful to do as He has called me to do, without exception and without excuse.

Today as I was studying the difference between dokimazo and periazo I met a young man named Cassidy.

He was actually doing his own thing as I was studying, and right before he was about to leave, he simply asked... "Are you a minister?"

That simple question led to a fantastic and encouraging albeit too short discussion about Christ and what BTF is all about.

I really enjoyed my conversation with him and we exchanged information. He seemed genuinely interested in BTF and asked me to make sure that we included him when we started our fellowship.

He is a student of medicine (natural) and has studied the Scriptures.. I really look forward to getting to know him more. If you are reading this Cassidy, I really hope to spend more time with you getting to know you... let me know how I can pray for you. You have my contact information!

Let me just say that God will bring about this fellowship because HE has called it into being. Thank you Lord for bringing your servants like Cassidy to my attention. May we all serve you as our King in a way that is pleasing to You!

Break Break

For those of you interested in the word study.. here is a brief bit on what I've been looking at tonight:

Dokimazo: To try, prove, discern, distinguish, approve. It has the notion of proving a thing whether it is worthy or not.

Metaphorically, to make trial of, put to the proof, examine, e.g., by fire.

Spoken with reference to God meaning to put to the proof, i.e., to tempt, which is equivalent to periazo to tempt, BUT WITH THE MEANING OF to try or test (when referring to God)

Dokimazo to prove to bring forth the good in us or to make us good., is at times contrasted with periazo which is to tempt to make us fall.

Dokimazo could not be used of Satan since he never wants us to experience God's approval.

Rather Satan always tempts (periazei) to make us fall.

Periazo: To try, to prove in either a good or bad sense, tempt, test by soliciting to sin. Of persons, to tempt, prove, put to the test.

In a good sense it is used in order to ascertain the character, views, or feelings of someone (Matt 22:35, Mark 12:28, Mark 12:34, John 6:6, Revelation 2:2)

In a bad sense with ill intent (Mark 8:11, 10:2, 12:15, Luke11:16, 20:23, John 8:6) Hence by implication to try one's virtue, tempt, solicit to sin (Galatians 6:1, James 1:13 -14, Revelation 2:10).

Especially by Satan (Matthew 4:1, Matthew 4:3, Mark 1:13, Luke 4:2, 1 Corinthians 7:5, 1 Thessalonians 3:5) Keep in mind Satan always tempts to show someone unapproved. Satan is actually called ho periazon (the tempter) Matt 4:3

My study on this topic continues... God bless,

Pastor Eric