There are two passages that refer to "the fullness of time": Galatians 4:4 and Ephesians 1:10. The expression literally means "when the time was ripe". The reference in Galatians is the one I'd like to discuss today.
Paul is basically saying that Jesus came at a point in the history of humanity when the time was ripe and He released humanity from bondage to the law.
Theologians cite many reasons that exemplify the "fullness of time" indicating just how it was perfect in its measure of "ripeness" all having to do with the historical circumstances of His day
Two of the main reasons cited are:
- Pax Romana (The forced peace of the Roman Empire) which made travel both easy and safe.
- The influence of Alexander the Great whose expansion from Greece to Egypt and onto India left in its wake the Hellenistic or Greek language and culture.
Today in my meeting with my mentor Pastor Wayne, we went over 3 John 1-4. Once again, as with all of his instruction, Pastor focused on the original Greek language of the New Testament. I praise God for blessing Wayne with a heart for the work involved to truly study the Scripture in its original language. Is there any other way?
I made a commitment to go out today and buy hard copies of two indispensable works by Spiros Zodhiates Th.D.. AlthoughI have these works on my Libronix software, I am a hard copy kind of person.
The Greek language is so very specific and to not know it as a teacher of the Word of God is to be careless with our greatest tangible treasure.. God's revealed will through His Word.
I cannot emphasize enough how imperative it is to have completed your original language homework prior to discussing any passage of Scripture. For many things that are studied only in the English lose so much or even distort the meaning of the original language.
Thank you Lord once again for taking the time with me your servant to put on my own heart a heart of study.
Break Break
Last night at work, Kolan had an opportunity to share the Gospel of Jesus with a man who had an aortic anurism. The man had about a 20% chance to live and was crying out that he needed forgiveness, he was faced with his own mortality and realized that he was in great need of a Savior. Kolan had an oppotunity to share the story of the thief on the cross with this man and the man accepted the forgiveness of the Christ! Praise be to the Holy Spirit for His work of conviction and conversion! Praise be to God for giving Kolan the Spirit in great measure and giving him the words to say.
Break Break
Today I went to Bibles Plus a store in Albuquerque, one of only a handful of Christian book stores in town. I went to purchase the work by Dr. Zodhiates, and in doing so I met a woman named Lydia.
I have to say it is such an amazing blessing to meet Christians wherever we may go. Lydia and I both share a passion for God's Word. I think we could have talked for hours had we allowed ourselves. Interestingly enough, there is a connection between Lydia and Mike (from the airplane) again.. a small small world and one where the believers in a city can encourage and assist one another.
Lydia offered to lend me a book that will be useful to me in ministry. She, as a sister in the faith, took a concerned effort to help me be obedient to God's continued call upon my life. Thank you Lydia for your faithfulness and your passion for the work of the Kingdom. May Almighty God bless you and continue to reveal Himself to you.
Well folks, I have a lot of work to do. Please continue to pray for BTF. He is already using us in the lives of those around us. Please pray that we will continue to be faithful to His call upon our lives and that we will submit and be able to discern His perfect will.
God bless,
Pastor Eric

1 comment:
Just an update. The gentleman with an aneurysm is in the ICU out of surgery on a ventilator. Praise God.
Post a Comment